Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Human Pincushion

First chemo is behind me, only 11 more to go! It did not begin well, however. They tried FIVE TIMES to get an IV line in before it worked. My veins just kept closing up. Now I’m bruised all over my arms and hands. My nurse said I was the worst case she’d seen in a long time, a dubious honor. And didn’t I just write about how much I hate needles? My crying in pain did earn me an upgrade to a private room, lest I further disturb the other patients. Just as well, the St. Patrick’s Day themed segments on the morning show being played on high volume by my neighbor were really starting to grate on me. Oh, and the difficulty in placing the IV meant that we didn’t even start my meds until 1:00, when I was expecting to start at 10:30 and be home mid afternoon. I was also surprised to learn that in addition to the 2.5 hours of drugs, I also would have 4 hours of IV saline to water it all down and get my kidneys pumping. So by the time mom drove me home, the kids were already in bed.

The remedy to the IV situation is of course another medical procedure involving needles. Now I'm going to get a port put in some time next week. This device, about the size of a quarter and ½ inch thick, will be surgically inserted under my skin in the chest and connected into the vena cava (big old vein). Subsequently they can use it for all blood draws and to administer IV drugs without having to hunt for a vein. Plus I'll get a numbing cream to rub on it beforehand so I don’t feel the needle sticks. It will stay in for the rest of the year, until I’m done with all my treatments. Yippee!

Today I’m feeling not great, not terrible. I’ve taken lots of anti-nausea drugs, which seem to have halted my queasy stomach, and am primarily sleepy and low energy. I’ve been able to eat and keep drinking water. Mom’s about to drag me out for a walk since it’s a nice day out which I admit sounds like a good idea that I probably wouldn’t do if I were home alone.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Martha,

I'm so sorry you had such a terrible time with the IV -- I hate needles and have uncooperative veins, too, so I can imagine how awful that was. You sound like you are in good spirits. We love you and wish you lots of strength and endurance.

Love,
Jessie, Andrew and Dean

Anonymous said...

A port sounds like a good idea - with two rounds of chemo planned your veins would probably be a wreck by the end even if they were cooperative to start. I hope it makes the next round less of a trial. Lots of love - I'm thinking of you.

Dan + Lisa said...

Oh, honey!! it sounds like a terrible time, I am so sorry it was so trying. You have been in my thoughts non-stop. More soon, I'm sure you look FABULOUS in your diamond earrings!

- Lisa

Anonymous said...

You are so brave...I can hardly believe what you went through. When your Mom isn't around to walk with you please call me for light exercise, I need it too and I'd love to walk with you. I hope you can start to forget about this day when it comes time to go back again. Maybe think about it like having another baby...we don't do it again until we forget how bad it really was. But 11 more babies... ?

Anonymous said...

At least, they put in ports nowadays. I also have thosekindof veins, that rolls away, when they try to insert needle! When I had my treatment 30+ years ago, the IV was in the end connected in my foot!!!
Be hapy for the port Martha! That's so much easier than all the darn needles!
Hugs
Britt-Liz

Rachel said...

I remember you didn't have any morning sickness with Ethan. Not sure if either of the other two gave you any experience with it. Not that it would make it more enjoyable, but at least you'd know you'd been through something similar before.

I'm glad to hear about the port. I have tiny veins and I don't have an aversion to needles, but I don't enjoy getting poked multiple times in multiple places. Careful, though. Don't get put into the matrix!