Monday, February 25, 2008

Stop this bus, I want to get off! Caution: depressing visit synopsis ahead.

First visit with the oncologist today. When is one of these visits going to yield good news?!?! She said due to the size of Chucky and my triple negative hormone receptor status, she is 99% sure I need chemo. And if it turns out that at least one of those additional suspicious masses is cancerous too, you can round that up to about 1000% sure I need the “most aggressive” chemo, plus am buying a one-way ticket to loosing a boob or two. Good gravy, I am too young for this shit. Aarghh!

OK, cussing in a blog doesn’t cure cancer. Let’s move on. The chemo would be 8 sessions, each 2 weeks apart, so about 4 months of it all up. There’s a 30% chance I’ll go into menopause after, maybe permanently. I said I want to do as much as possible to learn whether is has spread or whether I am more susceptible for this to spread in the future. So I get to do blood work plus CT scan and bone scan to look for cancer elsewhere in the body. I’ll also give more blood for genetic testing to determine if I carry the BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes. This test will take 4-6 weeks. If I do have those genes, not only is the risk of recurrence higher, but the women in my family can act on this information as well.

Meanwhile, we keep moving ahead with the series of biopsies and MRIs so we know what we’re dealing with in those little masses.

The silver lining to today’s appointment was the oncologist, herself. She was very patient and down-to-earth, and explained things to Colin and me quite well. She went through a myriad of options based on the outcomes of tests, the order of treatments and the surgery schedule. (Still up in the air is whether to do surgery or chemo first.) She said that from now on she will take the role of coordinating all the various tests and treatments, which is a relief for me as I really wanted to feel like there was one person who was looking after both the big and little picture.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Humor is mankind's greatest blessing."
Mark Twain

Anonymous said...

Hey Marty,
I finally got a chance to get connected down here in this remote 3rd world location, phone lines had been down for a couple weeks. Tho time and miles may seperate us we are always together as kindred spirits.
I go in for my exam when I get back to the States in May, I couldn't get an appt last year cuz they needed 8 months advance notice for the machine. So now I'm a little more nervous since my side of the family is more high risk.
Best wishes,
Love and Hugs, OXO
Cousin Kerri

Anonymous said...

Dear Marty,
I am your mother's cousin from ND. I too am journeying on this same path. My cancer is colon cancer that has spread to my liver and lungs-not good. I loved your comment about being medicated for the MRI. I was not given that option. About 1/2 way through the process, I felt like I was going to go crazy and crawl out through the bottom of the tube! I think face down, feet first and medicated would have helped! I kept telling myself that 57 year old women don't do that type of thing, but believe me I was close to attempting it!
I, too, am tired and take lots of naps. In my case it must be the cancer because I don't have little ones any more.
I will think of you often and send good wishes your way.

Rachel said...

Martha, I'm thinking of you just about hourly. I hate that you're going through this, and I hope you get some better news as you start actively fighting the cancer. I recommended about two years' worth of Netflix rentals on the other thread.

all my love,
Rachel Luft

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sucks. Who knew that chemo could cause menopause - as if it weren't enough fun and games on its own. I've got my fingers crossed that all the Chucky-Spawn turn out benign - hope the 2nd ultrasound biopsy goes well.

jayeffvee said...

Martha, I'm already dreaming up hat designs for you. Give me a buzz the next time you find yourself over at 245 and we'll do a fitting and talk style.

Sound good?

:-)

Love you, girl. Hang in there.