Thursday, February 14, 2008

First Surgical Consult (originally emailed 2/14)

I had my surgical consult this morning. The surgeon's initial recommendation is to have a lumpectomy (i.e. just remove the lump but not the whole breast) followed by 6 weeks of radiation. My lump is 3.4 cm, which categorizes me for Stage 2 cancer. I'm still awaiting more tests for additional information. Also, during the surgery itself there will be further testing to see if the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes (if it has, this will very likely require chemo); while this came back negative in the test I had Tuesday, that was of a small tissue sample so it's still possible that it's there.

Current next steps:

1) Get MRI of both breasts. This is scheduled for 6:40 a.m. (geez!!) on Sunday, Feb. 17 at the Brigham & Womens hospital.
2) Schedule surgery for removal of the lump. This is expected in the next few weeks.
3) Appointment with a genetic counselor / oncologist to get blood test for breast cancer genes.

Thank you for all your best wishes and prayers.
Love, Martha

No comments: