Wednesday, February 27, 2008

New treatment plan coming together

Biopsies of 2 Sons of Chucky successfully completed yesterday, one on each side. These were deeper lesions than the biopsy of Chucky (main lump), which is right at the surface, so were somewhat more of an ordeal. Imagine someone poking a needle the size of a mechanical pencil into your fleshy parts. On second thought, don’t imagine it because it’s not very fun, but at least I was well numbed up for it. The sampling of each mass basically removed them due to their small size. Of course this was not a surgical removal so some cells still remain. Biggest problem was my iPod running out of battery just on the way to the appointment, so my plan to listen to a Harry Potter e-book and zone out during the procedure was thwarted. (I blame Steve Jobs. Any of my lawyer friends want to sue him for me?) Felt quite worn out afterwards, and freaked out when one of the wounds started bleeding a few hours later, but that stopped with some pressure and it’s okay now, though bruised. Results due in a few days.

Significant news is that today when I was in the oncologist’s office getting blood drawn for some tests she asked to talk to me. She spoke with my surgeon yesterday and they concur on a new treatment plan, which is to do chemo first and when that’s finished, have the surgery. The advantages of doing chemo first are:
- Quickly start systemic treatment to eradicate any cancer throughout the body, regardless of what we find through various biopsies and scans.
- Keeping Chucky in actually provides a feedback mechanism to see if the chemo is working. If Chucky gets smaller from session to session, we keep going. If it doesn’t shrink, then we know that particular type of chemo isn’t working on me so I don’t have to go through the whole course of it unnecessarily. If Chucky was removed, we’d have to hope / assume the chemo was working and do all 8 sessions no matter what.
- This will give us plenty of time to get the results of all possible tests, including the 6 weeks needed for genetic results, which may impact the decision of lumpectomy vs. mastectomy – single or double. The surgery decision can then be made without rushing into things.
- If mastectomy is required, allows plenty of time to identify a plastic surgeon I would prefer to do the reconstructive surgery at the same time as the mastectomy. Obviously this requires a bit of coordination of schedules at the very least.
- If lumpectomy is still the plan in the end, it will be much easier for the surgeon to remove the small lump and leaves more tissue behind for me.
- And they only had a limited time offer on the cherry flavored chemo drugs.

Since this was new news, we didn’t make the final decision today so I would have a chance to talk to Colin and let it sink in. However my oncologist is recommending I start the chemo the week of March 10th so things are moving quickly. Now I’m feeling really sad about losing my hair in the imminent future and looking at ugly wig and hair wrap catalogs that in no way resemble my own copper tresses. But knowing a plan is in place at least provides us a future around which to plan.


Coming soon: what you can do to help

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Copper Tresses -- check out www.circusofcancer.org for another link to add to your list. I have a pink wig I can lend you. You'll be the envy of all your friends ;-P

- Little Orphan Annie/Lucille Ball

Anonymous said...

I admire your courage. You are very strong... Keep going and never give up!

Anonymous said...

I bought a bunch of those stupid headwraps and a wig and ended up wearing my old red bandana all the time. Losing your hair will be tough, but facing the challenge with humor and hope is tougher. On that front, you are doing great. Think of you every day.

love,

muk

Anonymous said...

One thing I did before my hair fell out is shave my head. This allowed me to maintain some sense of control where there is so little of it. Nine years later, I still look back on it as one of the best things I did during my journey.

HSF said...

thanks for keeping us in the loop.
my lasagna pan ( spinach or no spinach?) is ready and waiting
xxoohetty (one door down)

Sparky said...

Chemo? Meh. I don't envy you. Best wishes!

If you're going to lose all your hair anyway, have you considered donating it to Locks of Love ? I'll do it if you do.

As for wigs, I think you should give the Marge Simpson a try.

:-D

Anonymous said...

Marty- as a previous port owner- a little tip- always ask for the freezy spray before they insert the IV into the port...or even better, have then give you a small tube on EMLA cream that you apply half an hour before your chemo treatment over the port area - this numbs the site (great for kids going for shots too!) so you dont feel a thing...
you may want to keep a handy set of kleenex nearby as the first hair to fall out for me was the nose hair...drip drip....losing hair isnt pretty, but standing un-tressed in the rain or the shower become incredibly sensation filled!
bandanas are the cheapest head gear- I wished I had glued some of my hair to a bandana as a faux fringe...but it had all gone before I thought of it... the hair cut was good idea, next you may want to consider the buzz cut...followed by the telesavales bic razor cut which will pre-empt all itchy patchy fall out- it was one of the hardest days for me emotionally so have someone you love be there for you and keep the power in your hands...
Thinking of you and sending you all our love and best wishes..

Fiona, Dan and Aidan