Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Chemo #2 – Chucky is Shrinking!

A few days after my 2nd infusion, I am as expected tired, nauseous, low energy, and in a bit of a drug fog (did I mention that Cisplatin is supposed to be about the worst of the chemo treatments?), so this won’t be a long post. I have great news to share – Chucky (the tumor, for my newer audience) has shrunk after my first treatment. Hooray! Using the unscientific measuring method of the doctor’s hands, the pre-treatment estimate was that Chucky was 3 x 4 cm. On Monday, she estimated it at 1.7 x 3 cm, a dramatic reduction in volume. This makes all the hassle and suffering worth while.

My new port worked great functionally, it was all numbed up thanks to the cream I applied before I left the house, so all I felt was a tiny pinch when it was accessed. It was quite comfortable and easy to use, actually. The downside to the port is that since it was placed, it has been bothering my neck, as its catheter goes from my chest, over the collar bone, and back into the heart. Right where it is located on the collar bone, it was getting tugged painfully every time I turn my neck, which is a lot. (Hello, ever try backing the car up or changing lanes with only a slight head gesture?) I’ve also had some unexplained tingling in my right arm. Last week I went in to have the port X-rayed again to see if there was any problem with it, but was told it was fine and my choices were to live with it or have it put in again, which would delay my chemo schedule. I opted for seeing if it would get better on its own, which it has somewhat, but I can still feel it all the time, just not as painful as before. I’m still hoping for gradual improvements.

A bit more good news, my hair hasn’t fallen out yet so this past weekend when I went out to the one fancy event of the year with Colin (fundraiser for our elementary school), I didn’t have to go in a wig. So except for not feeling well, things are going okay!

p.s. Thanks to everyone who’s been helping with meals, it’s been very nice.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Martha, I am so glad to hear that Chunky is shrinking. I just have a feeling that you're going beat Chunky right off the planet. And congratulations on the hair. These good reports are probably due to your optimism, good medical care and those tough Midwestern genes! -k

Anonymous said...

mini-Chucky?! Great news!

JOnell said...

Yahoo! Death to Chucky. :) I'm so happy to hear the good news. Rock on sister!

Rachel said...

Die, Chucky, die! What great news. Sorry you probably aren't enjoying the meals yourself, but I'm glad it's one less thing to worry about. Love to the Haywards!

Anonymous said...

Martha,
I just became aware of all this when I saw your Facebook page. I am so sorry to hear about this ordeal that you are now going through. There is a marathon ahead, but it looks like you are making some good, aggressive decisions to beat Chucky! Please know that my thoughts are with you and your family as you fight this.
Hugs from Seattle, Karlyn

Nanette said...

Wonderful news Martha.
Nanette

Anonymous said...

Martha, Colin and family,

Just heard about it through the alumni website. Sorry to hear this news, but confident that you can beat it!

Can only hope for the best and our thoughts are with you!

Jonathan and Michelle Liew